Tuesday 18 May 2010

Alex Hearn

What is your name? How old are you?

Alex Hearn.

I am Twenty fifteen years old.

I’ve decided to always stay in my twenties while staying honest about my age - a difficult balancing act but one I feel I’ve achieved to a satisfactory level.

Um, I think you should move on to the next question...

What value do you think your art offers art?

Oooh...let me see (counts on his fingers and mumbles to himself).

None at all... if you aim to add value to art through your own art then you will fail.

It’s not realistic or a motivation that will make your art better. Some kind of truth is the best that can we can hope for and hopefully people will connect with that.

If you were a shape which would you be?

A very squiggly one.

If you could speak any language which would you choose?

I would like to speak ‘animalish’ - the generic language that all animals use to communicate.

I always wanted to know what Oragutans are saying.

Can you quickly list five words that rhyme with pencil?

Gentle lentil mental rental utensil.

You see how I stayed away from ‘stencil’ there?

Do you consider yourself to be an honest person?

Our big brains with sub-conscious minds mean that none of us can be entirely honest with ourselves.

I think that means no, I’m not honest but also that you can’t really answer yes.

Would you prefer to be loved or hated because of the art you produce?

Makes no difference - it’s the same thing.

Provoking a strong response is the definition of success for many artists, and the really great ones historically have often divided opinion.

Tell me something you like?

Marvin Gaye.

Just the sheer expression - you can literally hear the man’s soul in his music.

Where do you work?

In a dark place.

Ask yourself a question and answer it.

What makes me different?

I have extra nerves in my hands that other people don’t have, which means I can literally feel more!

A few years ago I developed rsi, and had neurological tests where they discovered my mutation.

I must have super-powers because of this but I have yet to discover what they are.


No comments:

Post a Comment